
Finally this winter I've been able to get out and do something fun, not that studying biology and chemistry isn't fun ;). I've been invited a couple times to volunteer at the "coyote farm" not too far from Logan. It's a Wildlife Services/USU facility that houses and testes coyotes. Occasionally they need help moving the coyotes to different spots. In that little box there are two coyotes that they are holding down getting ready to lift out, unfortunately my camera died taking this pic. They hold them down with the two rods and an employee grabs one by the head and lifts it out. If they have to hold them for any length of time they put them in a head-lock cradling them causing the coyote to stay calm (the coyotes are fairly use to this). Of course this is after we successfully force the coyotes into the box, to corner them quickly takes about 12 people in a strait line walking towards the box. These guys are extremely fast, and intelligent. One coyote shot through our line quicker than I could believe. They call a coyote their jumper because he'll jump the fence instead of going into the box. He jump 7' feet strait up from a stand still, it was incredible. We had people on the outside of the fence to help with him decide to stay in, so he ended up not giving us any problems.

On my way to the "coyote farm" I passed this field with 13 bull elk hanging out eating. Someone left a gate from the national forest open allowing the elk to wonder on down. Most of them are fairly young but there are two really big ones in there. This was two weeks ago, but they are still in that same area today. I asked one of the farmers if they'll try to push them back across the fence and she said they don't know. They've never had this problem before, so we'll see what happens. My two year old boy gets sooo excited to see elk, I was going to take him up to Hardware Ranch to see them but we didn't have time so we saw these ones instead. Its ok, I haven't seen this many big bulls in the same place up at Hardware so it's pretty cool!
So fun. We'll have to take a drive on Saturday. Fun to see you post the things you're doing!
ReplyDelete