Feeding the little monsters was always an adventure, it seems the two couldn't find the bottle.
Loco the yearling buck gets a little too friendly with people, he like to use us as a rubbing post. Thank goodness I left before the felt came off his horns.
There were two ponds, this was before we cleaned out all the algae. The scary thing about the ponds is that there are cotton mouths (water moccasins) in them so I always had my snake guards on while working on them, although I never saw one. Cotton Mouths are water snakes that are about as poisonous as rattlers, only they don't make noise and they are usually in groups so you are likely to get bit several times in an encounter.
After I brake a tire off the electric buggy, I ended up driving the polaris ranger around most of the time. That thing has a tun of power and goes surprisingly fast. The first time I got into that pool I was alone and came face to face with a snake. We both got out of the pool as fast as we could swim. It was just a garden snake, but I never saw it again after that, and after that I always checked for critters before I jumped in.
I am doing this blog to express my excitement about wildlife. I will be sharing what I have experienced, and what I will experience in my studies and also my outdoor activities. I know that I do not know everything, but I am eager to learn from those who do. Any fun facts that anyone can share are welcome.A little about me, I am from Pleasant Grove Utah. That is located on the foothills of Timpanogas Mountain in the Rocky Mountain Range. I am majoring in Wildlife Resources in order to work with Problem Animal Management.
During August I was working on a White-tail Deer ranch in South Texas. This pic was taken from one of the motion cameras that I had by a mud hole that the deer like to drink from when it isn't dry.My main responsibility was to bottle feed and care for the doe fawns. They may look cute at first but we quickly started calling them "monsters" because they have no patience when it comes to being bottle fed. They would jump and paw at me trying to be fed first. That became painful as they got bigger. That # 916 was the best looking.
Being on a ranch, I ran into several different types of animals. Rattle Snakes being the most feared. They are not tolerated on the ranch so when we found them they usually didn't live threw it. This one was in the middle of a dirt road by some deer pens, I found his brother a few nights later on my front door step at 1am after I was done working. Baby rattlers are more dangerous then adult rattlers. This is because the babies can't control how much venom they inject because they get too excited when they encounter humans. Adults on the other hand just want us to go away because they know we aren't a food source. So if they do bite, they don't inject as much venom. Any venom is too much for me though.
There were a lot of road runners. These birds are cool, I clocked one running about
25 miles-an-hour. I'm told that they eat snakes. This is a bird I don't get to see often, but on the ranch I saw about a dozen a day.









Nice blog!
ReplyDelete